Sunday 5 July 2015

30 degrees, but not melting

J U L Y 5th 

I'm blogging everyday for the month of July, sharing what I learn about what it means to be a steward of time. Time is so precious. This series is a personal experiment where I hope to get a better look into where I invest my time, and how I can better shape my life to serve God through my actions, words, and priorities. Look up the tag "July series" to view each post. 

Productivity:
Working on a math assignment and persevering when all I felt like doing was lying outside and not moving (it's so hot!)
A meeting at church to prepare for the upcoming week of kid's camp

Rest & Enjoyment:
A morning at church with my family 
Going for brunch with a dear friend to celebrate her 21st birthday
Having a relaxed evening walk with my mom and brother, and watching the sun turn a beautiful bold orange 

Take aways:

1. How do we be good stewards of our time when any movement is accompanied by streams of perspiration and red cheeks? When it's over 30 degrees outside and my legs stick to my desk chair, I don't reeeeally feel like doing homework, especially when the beach offers the temptation of a cool breeze and ice cream. What I learned today is this: perseverance may not be easy (or comfortable), but no matter what I do, I want to do it with a good attitude. I may have felt like a boiled potato as I sat and worked through my assignment, but hey, I like potatoes. Okay, eating them is much better than feeling like one, but my point is this: I never want to let something like the weather steal my joy! Do you know how many things have to go right in your body for you to feel heat? There are hundreds of chemical reactions that have to occur in the correct sequence for you to perceive heat, and that is indeed worthy of a celebration.

2. Being a good steward of time means making time for others. I've heard people say before that if you want to be successful you have to be selfish. I really struggled with believing this statement. Do I really have to put myself above others to get accepted into medical school and ultimately be a good doctor? I don't think so. The more I live and learn, the more I see that fulfillment comes from being unselfish. The more I invest into others, the happier I become. I believe that God has medicine in my future, and he calls us to be loving, giving, and to take care of our own needs, but certainly not to be self centered.

Oh, fifth day of July, you were a good one. You were challenging, with your out of my comfort zone temperatures and math assignment that stretched my brain cells, yet you, like the first four days of July, were not without worthwhile lessons about being a steward of time. Thank you for teaching me that it's up to me what attitude I bring to the activities I spend my time doing, no matter what temperature it is. 


Much love, Vivi   




No comments:

Post a Comment